Desert Regional Medical Center Community Outreach
Cornerstone of the Greater Palm Springs Community for Seven DecadesOpened in 1948, Desert Regional Medical Center serves the greater Palm Springs community with:
- 385-bed acute care hospital offering advanced care and comprehensive services
- Life-saving trauma care - the only designated Level II trauma center in the Coachella Valley
- Comprehensive stroke center for the region
- Cardiac surgery
- Cancer treatment
- Only neonatal intensive care unit in the Coachella Valley
“Desert Regional Medical Center is the tertiary care center for our community – we offer the most comprehensive and unique specialty services of any hospital in this region,” said Michele Finney, Desert Regional’s CEO, who also serves as CEO of Desert Care Network. “And as one of the largest employers in the Coachella Valley, we have a tremendous impact beyond our campus. Our physicians, nurses and other staff provide excellent care for our patients at the hospital, and they live, play, volunteer and give back to the communities we serve.”
Local Supporters for Desert Regional Medical CenterRic Supple and his wife Rozene are longtime supporters of the hospital. Rozene’s generous donation helped make the G. A. Richards Trauma Center a reality. Ric served as an elected trustee for 16 years and supported the Desert Healthcare District’s 1997 decision to choose Tenet Healthcare as Desert Regional’s operator.
“We’re very proud of Desert Regional Medical Center,” Ric said. “It has always been known as the hospital that provides the whole gamut of services our community so badly needs – from when it was a publicly funded hospital to now, under Tenet’s management. Everybody is welcome here.”
Training the Next Generation of PhysiciansDesert Regional is also a teaching facility that helps meet the increasing demand for healthcare services for the area’s significant population growth. The hospital began residency programs in various specialties over four years ago. The first class of family medicine residents, in partnership with the University of California at Riverside, graduated in June 2018.
Awards & Distinctions
- Accredited Chest Pain Center and Atrial Fibrillation Accreditation with EPS – American College of Cardiology
- Accredited with Commendations: Comprehensive Cancer Center – American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- Bariatric Surgery Accreditation – American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
- Blue Distinction for Cardiac, Spine, Maternity and Bariatric Surgery – BCBS Blue Distinction Center
- Comprehensive Breast Center of Excellence – Mammography, Stereotactic and Ultrasound - American College of Radiologists
- Comprehensive Stroke Center – DNV GL Healthcare USA, Inc.
- Elite Honor Roll for Stroke and Gold Plus Award for Stroke, Heart Failure and Resuscitation - Get with the Guidelines – American Heart Association
- Five-Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment – Healthgrades
- Hospital Triennial Accreditation and Certification in Advanced Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Perinatal Care and Spine– The Joint Commission
- Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality – Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation