Collaborating with Our Healthcare District Partners
We highly value our strong and effective partnerships with the Desert and the Morongo Basin Healthcare Districts, and we look forward to continuing to work together to improve the health and well-being of our desert communities. We are also grateful for the tremendous support we receive from residents of the two districts who rely on us for their healthcare. - Michele Finney, CEO of Desert Care Network
A History of PartnershipBoth Desert Regional Medical Center and Hi-Desert Medical Center are former district-run hospitals that are now operated by Tenet under 30-year lease agreements. Tenet began leasing Desert Regional from the Desert Healthcare District in 1997 and Hi-Desert from the Morongo Basin Healthcare District in 2015. Each district retains ownership of the hospital properties.
“The Desert Healthcare District’s decision to lease Desert Regional to Tenet was simple: It allowed the district to meet outstanding debt obligations and enabled the hospital to become part of a large, experienced healthcare company with national resources,” said Les Zendle, President of the Desert Healthcare District. “Our successful public-private partnership with Tenet has freed up financial resources that permit the district to offer community health initiatives and other services that have greatly benefitted the health and well-being of Coachella Valley residents.”
Collaboration ResultsWith Tenet operating Desert Regional, the Desert Healthcare District has been able to support important public health initiatives, such as investing more than $60 million in community health programs for residents, addressing issues such as:
- Access to healthcare
- The shortage of local healthcare workers
- Health disparities in the community
- Social determinants of health
- Other public health concerns
- Morongo Basin federally-qualified health centers in Yucca Valley and Twentynine Palms can accept patients discharged from Hi-Desert who do not have a primary care provider.
- As part of its close working relationship with Hi-Desert, the district’s Hospital to Home program helps patients with chronic illness live with their illness after they are discharged from the hospital.
Investing in Our CommunitiesTenet is committed to investing in the communities it serves.
Desert Regional Medical Center
- Since 1997, Tenet has invested $150 million on enhancing facilities and expanding services for the Coachella Valley.
- Beginning the lease in 2015, Tenet committed to providing much-needed funding -- including $32 million in the first three years of the lease - for new projects, technologies such as enhanced information systems and physician recruitment and service line expansion.