Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole is an American holiday favorite. We’ve got a heart-healthy version that is sure to be a hit with fans of this classic dish!
Ingredients (Makes 8 Servings):
1 lb. frozen green beans, thawed (French cut is best)
10.5 oz. canned, reduced-fat, low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 tsp pepper
1 small onion (cut into thin strips)
1 can nonstick cooking spray
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish, combine green beans, soup, sour cream and pepper. Stir until well mixed and bake for 20 minutes.
- While casserole bakes, spread out onion sticks and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle flour over onion pieces, tossing to coat equally.
- Spray a medium-large skillet with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Remove casserole form oven, add half of the onions and stir well.
- Top with remaining half of onions and return to oven, bake 5 minutes more.
Nutritional Information for 1 Serving:
77 calories, 3 grams protein; 2 grams fat; 12 grams carbohydrates;
2 grams fiber; 4 mg cholesterol; 138 mg sodium
Recipe and photo courtesy of American Heart Association, Healthy For Good™
Sign Up for Health Tips
Get our advice and upcoming events about weight, pain, heart and more.