London’s Labor and Delivery Story

May 28, 2019

London’s Story

After participating in a close friend’s birthing experience at Hi-Desert Medical Center, London Moore knew that’s where she wanted to have her first child. And although her birth experience didn’t go quite as smoothly as her friend’s, thanks to the exceptional care she received at Hi-Desert Medical Center, both she and her son, Benson, are healthy.

London, a dental assistant who lives in Twentynine Palms, had planned on having a natural, vaginal birth at Hi-Desert’s Family Birthing Center with her trusted Ob/Gyn, Richard Eppey, M.D. But after her due date came and went with no signs of Benson’s arrival, she and Dr. Eppey decided it was time to induce labor.

London arrived at Hi-Desert Medical Center on a Thursday evening with a head cold, yet still feeling confident she could have the vaginal delivery she so desired. London received medication to promote labor, but it wasn’t until Saturday morning that her contractions really kicked in. She received an epidural after they became too painful for her to bear. And although she was in less pain, by early Sunday morning, her head cold had developed into a 105° F fever. As London’s temperature rose, so did Benson’s heart rate, leading Dr. Eppey to recommend an emergency C-section.

Taking care of mom and baby

“When they said I had to have a C-section, even though I trusted Dr. Eppey, I just thought I would die,” she says. “I was so scared, I was shaking uncontrollably, but the anesthesiologist talked me through the procedure and the whole time communicated to me what was going on.”

By the time Benson was delivered, London had stopped shaking and her temperature was down. Benson, however, had developed an infection in utero and required IV antibiotics.

“Benson needed to go to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), so I wasn’t able to be with him right away, but I was OK with it because I knew he’d be well cared for,” she says. “They assured me that the nurse would be with him the entire time.”

After Benson had received oxygen and treatment for his infection, he was brought to London’s private room to meet his mother for the first time.

“I was so relieved to hold Benson in my arms and know he was healthy,” London says. “I’m grateful to everyone at Hi-Desert Medical Center for taking such good care of us. It was really an amazing experience.”

Feeling better — with steak and potatoes

London says even her husband and mother received special attention from Hi-Desert Medical Center staff.

“They brought my husband and mom to see Benson when I couldn’t be there, and that meant a lot,” she says.

By the next day, London’s fever was gone and she was helped out of bed to begin moving around her room. “I was feeling better pretty fast,” she says. “I actually enjoyed the last day I spent there, especially the yummy food. My husband and I received steak and potatoes for dinner before we went home, which was really nice.”

London says she plans on having more children someday, and when she does, she’ll be returning to Hi-Desert Medical Center’s Family Birthing Center.