Desert Care Network Hospitals Want to Ensure You Have a Safe Fourth of July CelebrationJul 2, 2018
PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – July 2, 2018 – The Fourth of July is just around the corner, and the hospitals of the Desert Care Network (DCN), Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, JFK Memorial Hospital in Indio, and Hi-Desert Medical Center in Joshua Tree want you to enjoy this holiday safely.
“The Fourth of July is a holiday filled with food, fun and fireworks, said Dr. Babak Khazaeni, emergency department medical director at Desert Regional Medical Center. “Each year around this time, we see many ranges of injuries in our emergency departments that can be easily prevented if the proper safety precautions are taken into consideration. The best way we can prevent injuries, is to educate our community to ensure their celebrations remain safe and fun for all.”
Safety tips to consider:
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show organized by trained professionals. This not only promotes a safer environment, but allows you to fully enjoy the fireworks viewing.
If you are at a celebration where you will be setting off fireworks, please take these precautions:
- Always have a fire extinguisher or bucket of water nearby
- Never point or throw any form of firework at another person, animal, building, brush or another flammable object
- Keep fireworks away from children
- Do not continue to try and relight a firework that does not light
- Wear eye protection when lighting fireworks
Grilling is a great way to have a family celebration, but every year we see injuries due to gas and charcoal grills. Follow these safety tips when cooking on a grill:
- Never leave a lit grill unattended
- Do not allow children to be unsupervised near a grill
- Always use a grill outdoors
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using grills
- Use proper grilling tools to ensure food is safely placed on and off the grill
By keeping these safety tips in mind, you can easily prevent many injuries from occurring. Always remember to dial 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.