Spinach Bean Soup
This meatless soup is an easy weeknight meal addition or can be a side dish for lunch with a sandwich or salad.
- Cooking spray
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. jarred, minced garlic OR 2 cloves minced, fresh garlic
- 14.5 oz. canned, diced, no-salt-added tomatoes (undrained)
- 14.5 oz. canned, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 16 oz. canned, low-sodium navy, chickpeas or pinto beans (undrained)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 cups fresh spinach, packed (tear or chop large leaves)
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray, heat over medium-high heat.
- Sautee onion and garlic 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, beans, pepper and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat, add spinach and cook 10-15 minutes more.
Calories: 95 per serving
Photo and recipe courtesy of American Heart Association.