Overnight No-Cook Banana Oatmeal
Weekday morning rush calls for ready-to-go breakfast options that stay with you. This affordable make-ahead breakfast staple gives a modern twist to plain old oatmeal with its no-cook method. Play around with the combination of oats to milk ratio according to your liking and top with healthy options like dried fruit, unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds or chopped bananas. Sweeten your bowl of oats with maple syrup or honey instead of sugar.
- 2 ½ cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 2 bananas, halved lengthwise and sliced
- ¼ cup chopped, unsalted pecans or walnuts
- In a large, resealable container or bowl, add milk, honey and extract. Stir to combine, adding oats and stirring to combine. Seal or cover, then place in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.
- The next day, peel each banana. Halve each one lengthwise and slice. Divide sliced bananas and nuts over each oatmeal portion. Serve.
Calories: 443 per serving
Cost per Serving: $1.88
Photo and recipe courtesy of American Heart Association.